What precautions or changes are in place as a result of COVID-19 for the 2020/2021 Year?
Riverbend Playschool is committed to creating a safe environment for our teachers, students, and their families. The purpose of this plan is to outline policies and procedures that have been put in place to minimize the risks associated with the spread of COVID-19, or any other infectious disease in our classroom for the 2020-2021 year.
As the situation with COVID-19 evolves and changes, these conditions are subject to change based on recommendations and directives from our licensing body, public health, or the Alberta Government. Riverbend Playschool will update parents throughout the school year.
Prior to Class:
- Teachers (or any visitors needing to enter the classroom) must complete a self-assessment questionnaire and be free of any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 before coming to class. These will be safely stored in the classroom for a two week period to allow for contact tracing, should they be needed.
- The entire playschool space (counters, tables, chairs, shelves, floor, etc;) will be cleaned and disinfected prior to each class starting. This includes between morning and afternoon classes.
- Teachers will wear masks throughout classes and will change their masks anytime they are soiled and also between classes. Masks are not mandatory for children in the classroom.
- The classroom has been set up to eliminate any co-mingling with other users of the community league. For instance, there will be dedicated playschool-only washroom and sinks.
- The classroom set up will become more open to allow for more socially distanced play/learning.
- Classes will start and end at a time where access will be for playschool families only. These times have been modified for the 2020-2021 school year only (AM classes 9:00-11:15 AM, PM classes 1:00-3:15PM).
- Each class will receive dedicated toys that are assigned to their cohort class. These toys will be cleaned and disinfected regularly. They will be rotated at set intervals to allow new toys to be explored and new activities.
- Sensory tables (water tables, sand tables, and play dough) will be tailored for single use play only.
- All toys or items that cannot be cleaned and disinfected will be removed from the classroom (soft toys, dress-up clothes, cardboard, etc.)
- We have been in contact with an Air Quality Engineer about cost effective air quality measures we can safely implement. The classroom is currently running HEPA air filters throughout the day.
At Drop Off:
-The first 15 minutes of each class will be free play time, allowing us to have a drop off window of time before programming officially begins.
- Following the City of Edmonton guidelines, masks or face coverings are mandatory in all indoor public spaces. There is no specific guideline as to what age this starts at, so please use your best judgement, as you would if entering a grocery store.
- Social distancing spots will be visible on the floor. Please do not enter the building unless there is an available spot.
- Everyone will be asked to wash their hands with hand sanitizer as they enter the community league building.
- Your child will hang their coat and backpack on their designated hook, put on indoor shoes, and proceed to the classroom door.
- Parents/caregivers will be asked to complete a health/travel screening questionnaire for their child each day.
- Children will only be permitted to enter the playschool if they have no risks identified on the screening questionnaire and are free of signs and symptoms of illness.
- Each child's temperature will be taken digitally at the door as they are checked in on the attendance sheet. We are that parents/caregivers do not leave the building until your child has been brought into the classroom.
- Children will be asked to sanitize their hands with hand sanitizer at the door.
- Parents will exit the community league building through the back door to allow for one-way traffic flow and to prevent congestion with other families entering the building.
- Teachers will set up programming in a way that encourages socially distanced play and learning
- Whenever possible, programming will be provided with increased time outdoors
- Parent helpers will participate only in the event of a teacher absence. We will look at other ways of sharing the wonderful learning that happens in class.
- Classroom activities such as story time and snack time will be done with social distancing in place.
- Show and tell (Sharebear) will still take place, with some modifications. When it is your child's turn for show and tell, please send a toy/item sealed in a ziplock bag. Your child will be the only one to handle his/her toy. After showing and discussing their toy with their friends, the toy will be put back in the bag and your child will wash his/her hands before returning to classroom activities.
- We will continue to practice and encourage good hand hygiene and proper respiratory etiquette within the classroom.
- Getting dressed for home will be a part of the playschool routine that is supported by the teachers - parents don't need to come in to assist with this!
- Teachers will bring the children to the designated pick-up area to meet their parent/caregiver
- Please enter only if the vestibule is free. Again, social distancing spots will be visible on the floor. Please do not enter the building unless there is an available spot.
- Parents will then bring their child to gather belongings.
- Teachers will complete the sign out process with each child/family at the exit door.
- Please have photo I.D. available for the first two weeks as teachers get to know all of the parents and caregivers associated with our children.
- All touch points and surfaces in the playschool classroom - including the bathroom, tables, chairs, sinks, and shelves will be disinfected.
What happens if my child is ill?
- Children will not be allowed to enter the playschool if they have signs or symptoms of illness.
- If a child develops symptoms or gets sick while at the playschool, parents will be notified and asked to pick up their child immediately. A teacher will remain with that child in a separate area until they are picked up.
-The teacher will be required to wash their hands, change their clothing and mask prior to returning to the class.
- If your child has symptoms, parents are asked to complete the AHS Online COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool and follow the recommendations.
- It is recommended that anyone who has symptoms of COVID-19 get tested as per the Alberta Government and AHS.
When will my child be allowed to return to class?
- In accordance with the Government of Alberta guidelines, if your child has any of a fever, cough, shortness of breath (difficulty breathing), runny nose or sore throat, he/she is legally required to self-isolate for 10 days from the start of symptoms or until symptoms resolve, whichever is longer. Close contacts of a person who tests positive for COVID-19 are legally required to self isolate for 14 days. Children will be welcomed back into the school once this time period has passed.
- If a child displays symptoms of COVID-19, but tests negative and has no known exposure to the virus, it is recommended that they stay home until their symptoms resolve.
- For more information on isolation requirements as outlined by the Alberta Government, please visit https://www.alberta.ca/isolation.aspx
- For children with a pre-existing condition which presents with symptoms similar to those expected of COVID-19 (i.e. allergies), the preschool will need a record of this. The child should be tested for COVID-19 to confirm that it is not the source of their symptoms before they can enter the program. As long as the test is negative, the child does not need to be re-tested unless new or different symptoms develop. We will keep a record of this at the playschool.
What happens if there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 associated with our playschool?
- All families will be notified if there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 at the playschool. If you, your child, or your family may have had contact with the individual, you will be contacted by public health.
-Anyone who was in direct contact with a person who is confirmed to have COVID-19 is legally required to isolate for 14 days.
- If 2 or more children are identified as having symptoms consistent with COVID-19, the playschool will follow outbreak notification procedures as directed by our licensing officer and public health.
- If our playschool is connected to a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19, we will close for a minimum of 72 hours and will follow the recommendations provided by Alberta Health Services.
Again, please note the change of class times. This year, class times have been changed as follows:
*AM Classes 9:00-11:15 AM
*PM Classes 1:00-3:15 PM
Shortening class time by 15 minutes allows adequate time to complete disinfecting between cohorts. Please note that timely pick-up allows our teachers to have their break and also do their best job cleaning for the next class. Please call the playschool if you are going to be late and please respect the pick-up times.
Unfortunately, we will not be participating in off-site field trips at this time. Our classes will maximize outdoor time, providing opportunities for students to explore, learn and create through a variety of outdoor activities.
On their birthday, your child will receive a disposable birthday crown and the class will sing Happy Birthday. We can't share birthday treats, but it will be their 'special day'. Perhaps parents/caregivers could send a special treat for their child only, in their snack bag. If treats are brought to be shared with the class, unfortunately this will not be able to be opened and will be returned to you at pick-up.
We will be implementing a one-time "Cleaning Fee" of $20 per child to help off-set the costs of needing extra cleaning supplies, masks, and hand sanitizer.
SCREENING QUESTIONNAIRE: https://www.alberta.ca/assests/screening
MASK INFORMATION: https://www.alberta.ca/masks.
SELF ASSESSMENT TOOL https://myhealth.alberta.ca/journey/covid-19/Pages/COVID-Self-Assessment...