What precautions or changes are in place as a result of COVID-19 for the 2020/2021 Year?
Prior to Class:
- Teachers must complete a self assessment and be free of any signs or symptoms of COVID19 before coming to each class
- The entire playschool space (counters, tables, chairs, shelves, floor, etc;) will be cleaned and disinfected prior to each class starting. This includes between morning and afternoon classes.
- Teachers will be masked throughout classes and will change their masks anytime they are soiled and between classes. Masks for children are optional and can be used if a family wishes.
- The classroom has been set up to eliminate any co-mingling with other users of the community league. For instance, there will be a dedicated Playschool pick up / drop off zone, dedicated Playschool only washroom and sinks, and access to cubby boxes / coat hangers is not in a communal area
- The classroom set up will become more open to allow for more socially distanced play / learning
- Toys and items that cannot be easily cleaned and disinfected will be removed. This includes, but is not limited to, carpets, sand/water tables, playdoh, books, and dress up clothes.
- Each class will receive dedicated toys that are assigned to their class or cohort (no mixing or cross contamination of toys!). These toys will be cleaned and disinfected at the end of each day.
At Drop Off:
- We will use a drop off area that is exclusive to the Riverbend Playschool
- Each child will be assigned an arrival / pick up time to minimize bottlenecking or clustering of families at the doors.
- Each child's temperature will be taken at the door. We are purchasing contactless hospital-grade thermometers to do this
- Parents/caregivers will be asked to answer health / travel screening questions for their child each day.
- Children will only be permitted to enter the playschool if they have no risks identified on the screening questionnaire and are free of signs and symptoms of illness
- Children will be asked to sanitize their hands with hand sanitizer at the upon entering
- Teachers will greet your child at the door and begin the learning journey from there (i.e. No parent entry into the community hall building). They will be able to encourage independence and establish a learning routine right away!
- Teachers will set up programming in a way that encourages socially distanced play and learning
- Whenever possible, programming will be provided with increased time outdoors
- We have put a hold on the role of the parent helper this year to minimize the number of people in the classroom. We will look at other ways of sharing the wonderful learning that happens in class - stay tuned.
- We will continue to practice and encourage good hand hygiene and proper respiratory etiquette within the classroom
- Classroom activities such as storytime and snack time will be done with social distancing in place
- Gathering personal items and getting dressed for home-time, will be a part of the playschool routine that is supported by the teachers - parents don't need to come in to assist with this!
- Teachers will bring the children to the designated pick up area to meet their parent / caregiver - Teachers will complete the sign out process with each child / family at the door
- Parents will wait outdoors to pick up their child during a 15 minute window to promote social distancing for families
- All touch points and surfaces in the playschool classroom - including the bathroom, tables, chairs, sinks, and shelves will be disinfected
If a Child is Ill:
- Children will not be allowed to enter the playschool if they have signs or symptoms of illness
- If a child develops symptoms or gets sick while at the playschool, parents will be notified and asked to pick up their child immediately. A teacher will remain with that child in a separate area until they are picked up.
- The teacher will be required to wash their hands, change their clothing and mask prior to returning to the class
- The child should be tested for COVID-19 before returning to the program
- In accordance with the Government of Alberta guidelines, if your child has a fever, cough, difficulty breathing, runny nose, or sore throat, you are legally required to self isolate for 10 days from the start of your symptoms or until they resolve, whichever is longer. Your child will not be allowed back into the school until this time period has passed.
- If 2 or more children are identified as having symptoms consistent with COVID-19, the preschool will follow outbreak notification procedures
- If our Playschool is connected to a confirmed or probable case of COVID-10, we will close for a minimum of 72 hours and will follow the recommendations provided by Alberta Health Services
- For children with a pre-existing condition which presents with symptoms similar to those expected of COVID-19 (ie. allergies), the preschool will need a record of this. The child should be tested for COVID-19 to confirm that it is not the source of their symptoms before they can enter the program. As long as the test is negative, the child does not need to be retested unless new or different symptoms develop. We will keep a record of this at the playschool.
We will be implementing a one-time "COVID fee" of $20 per child to help off-set the costs of needing extra cleaning supplies, masks, and hand sanitizer.